Thursday, June 10, 2010

Black Hairy Tongue

It's been 3 weeks since I gave up the cigarettes, four and a half for Stray and I think we've both got a handle on it now. Although I am still reaching for the nicorette gum from time to time, well maybe a little more than that...sometimes my jaw aches.

The odd glass of wine or two or three also helps to take the edge of the nagging withdrawals when they hit, only in the evenings of course. That's fantastic, if you can have one. I have a dry 9 days ahead, no wine, no alcohol, not even a chocolate with cherry liqueur inside :(

I'm on a super duper antibiotic (Metronizadole)...nothing serious, just getting old and have a few...well, don't want to get into that here. Let's just say I'm like an old pirate ship, a few barnacles and some plankton to get rid of. Anyway, the antibiotic is a variation of a drug they use to treat alcoholics. Apparently it's used as an aversion therapy, one drop of booze and it leaves them nauseous to throwing up...great!

hhhhhmmmmmmmm maybe Stray's been talking to my doctor on the sly?

An interesting side effect - High doses and/or long-term systemic treatment with metronidazole is associated with the development of black hairy tongue. And that's one of the least serious of the side effects. Mind you, I'm not on it for long term, only for 7 days, with a 2 day no drinking buffer zone at the end of the course.

PS. thankfully black hairy tongue doesn't actually involve any hair!

0 comments: