Monday, June 28, 2010

It's a sign 3

Funny sign (menu) number 3.

As you may or may not know, I am (feeble attempt) learning Thai. No matter how many native Thais we spoke to on our last visit, they pronounced the R as an L. For instance, KanchanabuRi...written in Thai script with a ror rua - ร - or letter R in plain speak, was pronounced KanchanabuLi. No matter how many times we politely questioned it, the locals insisted that the R is pronounced L. OK, so we continue on our holiday doing likewise.

After returning home and investigating the Thai language further, learning resources state I MUST pronounce the R as an R ...even more so, as a rrrrrrrrroooooooooolllllllllliiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnggggg R...like in the Russian language, which is handy, because I am half Russian.

Here it has been reversed....go figure!


The learning resources say that it's just a laziness thing, Thais not pronouncing their R's. But I found this menu particularly funny becuase they had purposely used an English R to create an L sound.

No matter what, Broccori (or is it Bloccoli?) is good for you :) and I'm thankful I didn't have to translate this menu from Thai to English or vice verse. By the way, our meal at the Golden Triangle was delicious and just look at those prices. Something I'll be really appreciating on our long stay.


PS. Also, I'm pretty sure that's meant to read Bitter Gourd, not Bitter Ground.

0 comments: