Monday, November 1, 2010

Chiang Mai's 23rd Food Festival

Lately our blog seems to be revolving around food...so why break the theme now? Last night we walked over to the 23rd Chiang Mai Food Festival. Not huge, but big enough to pass away two or three hours. About a hundred or so food stalls surrounding a large eating area, where you can enjoy a meal, beer and live entertainment.
Grilling whole fish over coals.

Delicious Pork Dumplings.
Nearly all of the stalls were selling different dishes, so there wasn't too much repitition.
Next to the food area is a side show alley with shooting gallery, bingo, merry go round and Ferris Wheel...how fun!
We look at each other and say 'why not!'. I can get some good photos from the top. We climb into a carriage, we barely fit. I'm afraid of heights. As we near the top, I remember this and we begin to examine our immediate surroundings. I look at the pretty lights you can see in the photo above.

I say to Stray 'look, they're just fluro lights strapped on with zip ties.'

He laughs and 'yes, attached to star pickets.' (For those not in the know, star pickets are light weight metal fencing poles. The cheap posts you put in between the good, solid ones.)
Normally I'd delete a photo like this, but the lovely green hue and facial expression, sums up my feelings at this moment perfectly. Realisation has hit and I remember that this is what we'd climbed into.
From our hotel we have heard massively loud bangs, daily, followed by emergency vehicle sirens. Car accidents? Now we're wondering if it was these plummeting to the ground.

We must have completed about twenty cycles...I think the ride attendant was enjoying watching two over sized farang squashed into a cage, going round and round.

Some random photos of the festival.
Ferris Wheel labyrinth
Stuffed toys laughing at Stray
Merry Go Round swans
The view from our cage
Catching Goldfish
I'm not sure how long the festival runs for, but it's worth a visit, situated behind Airport Central Plaza. Don't drive if possible, the car park is a nightmare.

Snap's other blog Chiang Mai Thai

4 comments:

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips

MATE! ferris wheels fairgrounds ferries and such would be on my don't tempt fate list.For vertigo treatment suggest daylong joyrides in the glass lifts Baiyoke Shy hotel Bangkok and the Petronas skybridge KL and the odd glass balcony floor....Your face photo took me back to Janet Leigh in Psycho...and the shower curtain bit...The tucker looked good! .lovely cool morning here, have trakkie on. al Pal @291

Snap said... Best Blogger Tips

My vertigo seems to be subsiding, slowly, with age...or perhaps decreases every time I decide to scare the jaheebers out of myself ;)

I can't believe you're still wearing tracky dacs at this time of year...unusually cool! The apartment stays nice and cool, haven't had to put the air on once, but it's heading into winter here.

Megan said... Best Blogger Tips

Oooh, I read this when you first posted, but I'm revisiting because I was here over the weekend. It was a lot of fun!

Snap said... Best Blogger Tips

I'm still recovering from the ferris wheel ;) Hope you're enjoying CM, a lot more laid back than BKK, hey.