Thursday, March 24, 2011

Myanmar Earthquake

9.55 PM. Right now reports are saying the earthquake that struck Myanmar, near the Thai/Lao border was a magnitude 7, but has just been downgraded to a 6.8. And, more recently an aftershock of 5.

We felt the big one all the way down here in Chiang Mai and the news is saying even those in Bangkok did. At first I thought I was sitting on a nerve in my leg, which was making my body move involuntarily. But, when I shifted my weight, I kept moving...and so did the sofa under me. It was a little disconcerting when I asked Stray if the room was moving and he said 'no'. It took quite a few seconds for us to realise what was happening and to run through what we should or shouldn't do. Luckily it ended before we had to make any decisions.

I hope the folks up north didn't endure too much damage. I'm sure tomorrow's news reports will fill in the blanks. The world certainly does seem to be copping its fair share of flak lately!

Snap's other blog Chiang Mai Thai

6 comments:

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips

Glad you are ok, sad for the 25 reported that didn't in burma.

I remember an earthquake when I was in my teens in Sydney. They are a little surreal.

Hope you dont get too many aftershocks.

Hugs
JJ

Snap said... Best Blogger Tips

@jj So glad it wasn't any worse than it was. I felt an after shock later, in bed. By the time I got to the doorway, it had stopped. Previously I'd packed some essentials in my handbag - bra, external backup drive and passport ;)

Apparently a smaller earthquake hit in North Thailand, around Chiang Rai, early this morning. One death reported from a falling wall.

It does feel surreal...I thought I was having some sort of medical emmergency for a few seconds.
The Burmese people have enough on their plate without having to deal with this...I hope that's the end of it.

Bangkok Blog said... Best Blogger Tips

Wish I'd felt it now.

Feel like I've missed out.

Snap said... Best Blogger Tips

@Bangkok Blog The only good thing that came out of the whole experience, is that now we know what it does feel like...not something I really want to ever feel again though.

Theodora said... Best Blogger Tips

We've had a couple here in Bali. Our first was in Guatemala. Most alarming was the one in Halmahera, where Z was on a squat toilet, and, being male, unwilling to exit the building until he had finished his business.

Snap said... Best Blogger Tips

What a man! No doubt he had a magazine with him? ;)