Saturday, July 10, 2010

Winding down the blackboard art.

I love my other work...not the office work (it's OK, it keeps the old brain ticking and I am a bit of a computer and Excel geek), but my blackboard sign business which I run from home.

I only have a couple of more jobs to do and at the end of the month...well, perhaps no more for well over a year.
Ironically, the last job I have scheduled is for a Thai Restaurant...my first ever (authentic) Thai cuisine blackboard. I'll post pics when it's done. If only there was a way I could do this while I was in Thailand...but, from what I've read, as a student I AM NOT PERMITTED to work. Besides, there seems to be all those other rules about working in Thailand...but, from what I can gather, if it's a job a Thai person can't do, I might be in with a chance???  Perhaps someone can enlighten me?

In the mean time, this is what I've been up to lately.



OK...I did this one a few years ago, just for fun. One day I'll get it up onto the wall. It took hours and was shoved behind a cupboard, with only a little bit to go. I couldn't didn't have the energy, motivation or thought power to think of a way of finishing it off so decided to draw in my own hand and other actual objects into the picture. *You won't see an ashtray in the scenario these days.

The whole Tall Tail!
Nothing wrong with a bit of shameless self promotion...is there? :)

6 comments:

Catherine Wentworth said... Best Blogger Tips

What beautiful work! I used to have a similar style (but not quite) years ago when I created collages for those leaving the work force (not always voluntarily). Long story...

And you are right about not being able to work (or donate your time even) in Thailand without a work permit.

I've been in Thailand twiddling my thumbs (as far as work goes anyway). There are ways to get around the rules, but it's up to you the risks you want to take.

I decided to forgo the risks and enjoy myself instead. With camera in hand, I head out to experience Thailand often. Well, the Red Shirts curtailed my excursions for a bit but I'm sure to get back out there soon.

Snap said... Best Blogger Tips

Hi Catherine

I'd love to hear about your forced artistic experiences...although I think I may have an idea. Workplaces and getting lumped with everything people can put (pile high) onto your plate...who needs it.

You've confirmed what I thought, better to keep my nose clean while in Thailand. I have plenty of personal projects to work on anyway and for the amount of baht I might earn under the table, it wouldn't be worth it.

I'm off to read your blog again...so many great blogs out there, I'm finding it hard to keep up.

Missy said... Best Blogger Tips

WOW your artwork is awesome!! Are you getting a chance to do anything in Thailand???

Snap said... Best Blogger Tips

I'm glad you like it Swiss. Being a student, I'm forbidden to work here, but a friend has asked me to make them a menu board, very soon...just as a favour of course. I do miss it, but have been doing some drawing lately. I might post them on Cooee...not sure yet.

Lawrence Michaels said... Best Blogger Tips

That's pretty amazing work you've been doing. You say it's chalk art? So is it permanent or something that you can just wipe off?

Snap said... Best Blogger Tips

@Lawrence Michaels It's permanent, so I'm able to freight my work anywhere and customers can wipe the boards clean.