Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Yay! One step closer.

I have (finally) enrolled in my course. I am starting my Thai Language course in November in Chiang Mai. Here's hoping Stray enrolls in his English Teaching course soon :) or I am on my own...just kidding!

My course consists of only 2 lots of 2 hour lessons per week, which I am really looking forward to. I know nit noi (very little) Thai, but am trying to learn as much as possible before I go.
The grounds of Chiang Mai University look quite impressive, according to Google maps...
...and I do remember passing them on a previous visit, as we were climbing the mountain to Doi Suthep (I think...it was a few years ago). So we might enjoy slightly cooler weather for the few months after we arrive. We'll be studying at 'C', if you can see it.

While Stray is completing his 4 week course in November, then looking for work in December, I will be doing my course, looking for other (than student) accommodation and learning the layout of the city (Chiang Mai) in more detail. I think I will be relying on songthaew, a cross between a taxi and a bus...natural air conditioning.
In the past we have found they charge about 20 BHT per trip, and for the locals, 10 BHT per trip. Today that's about 66 cents per trip for us...not bad! But, having said that, if Stray is supporting me on a Thai wage...I may be walking. If Stray decides to hire/buy a bike for the duration, I think I will be taking my own Australian made helmet. While in Vietnam, very silimar, one of the local helmets flew off his head and cracked like an eggshell.

When we settle down, I am looking forward to receiving visitors, working on my Chalk Art book/tutorials, Children's book and websites. Nothing like a holiday, is there?
That's it for now.

0 comments: